A Redirect, quite simply is when you reroute one webpage to another. This guide will show you how to redirect a URL using various methods.
Why would you Use a Redirect?
This is frequently done when a website owner changes domains.
It’s also done when a 404 page appears when someone clicks on a broken link. This happens when you change the URL slug (the words after the domain and slash such as mywebsite.com/this-is-the-slug).
It’s very useful when you realize that you have created 2 pieces of similar content and only need one to appear on the search engines.
The Redirect sends instructions to the internet that basically says, When someone clicks on THIS link, send them to THIS page instead.
It doesn’t delete the old page or content and this is a great way to prevent broken links (404′) on your website. Always use a redirect instead of deleting.
redirect OR rel=canonical?
We use a rel=canonical attribute when we want to leave both pieces of content visible, yet tell the search engines which one we prefer they rank on the search engine results page when someone performs a search query that matches our content.
If you are seeing 404 errors in your webmaster tools or SEO tools, it means you have links on the internet that are leading to broken “dead” pages.
You will want to create a redirect from the old URL to a new URL.“A 301 redirect is a permanent redirect which passes between 90-99% of link juice (ranking power) to the redirected page. 301 refers to the HTTP status code for this type of redirect. In most instances, the 301 redirect is the best method for implementing redirects on a website.” – Moz.com
Types of Redirects:
Although there are others, the most common are:
A 301 redirect is your permanent redirect option. This is the preferred type of redirect and the best for SEO in that the ranking values transfer to the new page.
A 302 direct is a temporary option.
None of the ranking power of the original page will carry over to the new page.
This is really not a great option.
Rarely used, this is sometimes seen on an e-commerce (shopping site) website when a product sells out and the website owner wants to send them to a similar product possibly, yet only until they restock.
This way, the redirect indicates that the SEO “juice” should stay with the original link and not transfer since the original link will be put back in play.
how To do a redirect
If you are using WordPress, this is pretty easy when you choose one of the many Plugins offered in your “Add a New Plugin” dashboard. Or you can see several doing a simple Google Search for Redirect Plugins.
And Then there’s always the long way. You might choose this in order to avoid lag time that can be caused by WordPress Plugins.
How To Blog
- Marketing ToolsIn this guide, you’ll find almost any marketing tool you will need for growing your blog, website, or online store. You’ll find automation tools, posting tools, promotional tools, money-making tools, SEO tools and so much more.
- WordPress Tutorials
- Refined WordPress Theme Set Up – Beauty, Fashion, Lifestyle Blog
- The Best Webinar Platforms
- SEO Content Writing Tutorial For Beginners
- The Best Blog Host Companies
- How to Keep Your Website’s Content FreshHow fresh is your website’s content? Creating high-quality and long-form content is an essential step to achieving high search rankings.
- Can Typos and Grammar Errors on your Blog Posts Affect Search Rankings?
- Teachable, Kajabi , Thinkific, Ontraport Online Learning, eCourse Platforms
- Passive Voice & SEO: Why You Should Pass on This Indirect Writing Style
- Dwell Time Optimization: How to Keep Visitors on Your Website
- Blogging TipsHi! I’m Lori Ballen and I’ve been blogging since AOL first said: “You’ve Got Mail”. I know, I know! In this guide, I’ll share my top blogging tips to help you grow your blog. Set yourself up for blog success right here while learning how to build, grow, and monetize a blog.
- How to Start A Travel BlogA travel blog is not unlike any other blog where you create content around a particular niche. A Travel blog can be a hobby, something that helps earn you free travel and supports your lifestyle, or a blog that actually earns you an income. Here’s how to start a Travel Blog.
- Best WordPress ThemesFind the best WordPress Themes, Mobile Responsive, Gutenberg Ready, Themes for bloggers, coaches, entrepreneurs, lifestyle bloggers and more.
- How To Remove The Background From a Photo Using CanvaWith Canva it’s easy to remove a background from a photo. Simply add a photo to your new design, click effects, and then Remove Background. Yep, it’s that easy.
You Might also like this article on how to identify and solve Orphaned Content.