Lori Ballen is a member of the Amazon Associates Program and earns money from qualifying purchases. Posts contain affiliate links that benefit Lori as well.
A Redirect quite simply is when you reroute one webpage to another. This guide will show you how to redirect a URL using various methods.
Why would you Use a Redirect?
This is frequently done when a website owner changes domains.
It’s also done when a 404 page appears when someone clicks on a broken link. This happens when you change the URL slug (the words after the domain and slash such as mywebsite.com/this-is-the-slug).
It’s very useful when you realize that you have created 2 pieces of similar content and only need one to appear on the search engines.
The Redirect sends instructions to the internet that basically says, When someone clicks on THIS link, send them to THIS page instead.
It doesn’t delete the old page or content and this is a great way to prevent broken links (404′) on your website. Always use a redirect instead of deleting.
redirect OR rel=canonical?
We use a rel=canonical attribute when we want to leave both pieces of content visible, yet tell the search engines which one we prefer they rank on the search engine results page when someone performs a search query that matches our content.
You will want to create a redirect from the old URL to a new URL.“A 301 redirect is a permanent redirect which passes between 90-99% of link juice (ranking power) to the redirected page. 301 refers to the HTTP status code for this type of redirect. In most instances, the 301 redirect is the best method for implementing redirects on a website.” – Moz.com
Types of Redirects:
Although there are others, the most common are:
A 301 redirect is your permanent redirect option. This is the preferred type of redirect and the best for seo in that the ranking values transfer to the new page.
A 302 direct is a temporary option.
None of the ranking power of the original page will carry over to the new page.
This is really not a great option.
Rarely used, this is sometimes seen on an e-commerce (shopping site) website when a product sells out and the website owner wants to send them to a similar product possibly, yet only until they restock.
This way, the redirect indicates that the seo “juice” should stay with the original link and not transfer since the original link will be put back in play.
how To do a redirect
If you are using WordPress, this is pretty easy when you choose one of the many Plugins offered in your “Add a New Plugin” dashboard. Or you can see several doing a simple Google Search for Redirect Plugins.
And Then there’s always the long way. You might choose this in order to avoid lag time that can be caused by WordPress Plugins.
How To Blog
- Enpass Affiliate ProgramEnpass, the password manager, has an affiliate program. Grow your revenue with the Enpass affiliate program and help your customers in securing their digital life.
- Mrs. Meyer’s Affiliate ProgramMrs. Meyer’s Affiliate Program is offered at the ShareASale Network. It’s under the ePantry company that houses many all-natural home cleaning products. You can earn $5 per sale, $25 off your 1st ePantry order, as well as a free Mrs. Meyer’s hand soap!
- 5 Ways to Make Money Blogging.If you are blogging on a regular basis, you might want to know how to make money with your blog. Many bloggers have figured out ways to monetize their blog as a supplemental income or as a full-time income. This article will give you ideas on how to make money with your blog.
- Passive Voice & SEO: Why You Should Pass on This Indirect Writing Style
- Get Paid to Blog (9 Websites that Pay Writers)Blogging is a great way to supplement your income and, in some cases, make a full-time living. However, with so many websites on the market, it can seem a daunting proposition.
- Top 7 Computers for Blogging!Check this guide to the best blogging computer options!
- How to Create a Link Roundup Post for Your BlogWith a link roundup, you can tap into the content published on other blogs and websites to strengthen your own blog’s content marketing strategy.
- How to Start A Travel BlogA travel blog is not unlike any other blog where you create content around a particular niche. A Travel blog can be a hobby, something that helps earn you free travel and supports your lifestyle, or a blog that actually earns you an income. Here’s how to start a Travel Blog.
- Can Typos and Grammar Errors on your Blog Posts Affect Search Rankings?
- Marketing ToolsIn this guide, you’ll find almost any marketing tool you will need for growing your blog, website, or online store. You’ll find automation tools, posting tools, promotional tools, money-making tools, SEO tools and so much more.
- Blog Post Ideas for 2021 [by niche]This list of blog ideas for 2021 can get you on your way to creating great content for your blog.
- Lifestyle Blog IdeasA Lifestyle blog is any type of blog about life, hobbies, family, travel and so forth. Here are some lifestyle blog ideas for you to explore. It’s not too late to start a blog. That being said, if it isn’t something you are passionate about, you may not get to blogging very often. This is why many choose to start a Lifestyle Blog.
- The Best Facebook Groups for Bloggers
- The 10 Most Popular Blogging Topics for 2021
- 7 Ways To Get Past Writer’s BlockNow and again, the unthinkable happens. I wake up, settle into my morning blogging routine, and there it is – writer’s block! I’d like to share with you exactly how I overcome writer’s block and come up with amazing blog topic ideas, video topics, and more.
You Might also like this article on how to identify and solve Orphaned Content.