If your food blog is looking a bit tired or outdated, you may be in the market for a new design. Recipe Blogger Theme for WordPress might be a solution for you. This guide will teach you how to set up the Food Blogger WordPress Theme. If you want it all built for you, consider our Food Blogger System or Foodie Website system.
Food Blogger Website
The ‘Food Blogger’ is a complete WordPress Website ready for you to get cooking! If you would like to build your own, we have tutorials on that as well. If you want to leave the techie stuff to us, we put the system together for you. We’ve got the perfect recipe.
If you are building your website from ground up and need to get your WordPress set up first, I suggest WP Engine for your WordPress Platform and host.
You can learn how to do that on this How To Blog article.
Paul and Jeff at Ballen Brands can also build this for you.
In most cases, when you buy the child theme, you get the Genesis framework as well.
Make sure your WordPress Genesis is updated to 3.0 or newer.
steps to Install The Recipe Blogger Theme
- Purchase the Recipe Blogger Theme
- Access both the Genesis and theme .zip files from the confirmation page or email
- Do not unzip the files
- Upload the genesis framework [Appearance, Themes, Add New, Upload Theme, Activate
- Next, follow the same steps with the Recipe Blogger file.
One Click Install
The One Click Install is popular with website builders using child themes of Genesis. It’s exactly how it sounds, one click and it’s all installed.
This works best on a brand new website. Keep in mind that you’ll have to edit content, menus, widgets etc. to fit your food blog once you install it all using the one click install.
After you install the theme, you should see the button that allows you to choose a one click install. If not, get it here: [your website domain name]/wp-admin/admin.php?page=child-theme-setup
WordPress Plugins add functionality to a website. Many themes use WordPress Plugins that they didn’t create.
This is fine as long as they are tested with the theme and are kept updated. Some are “fremium” meaning free to a certain level and they you would need to pay to upgradee.
Here are the themes suggested by the makers of Recipe Blogger. They are not required to use your them, but they will be used in the demo.
One Click Install with add them, and you can activate them or remove theme.
- Atomic Blocks [Adds more blocks to Gutenberg blocks]
- Simple Social Icons [Allows you to add your social icons and channels to thee menu]
- Genesis eNews Extended [Used to gain email subscribers]
- WPForms Lite [Drag and drop contact collection forms]
- WP Recipe Maker [For your recipes]
- Smash Balloon Social Photo Feed [For Instagram]
- Regenerate Thumbnails [This will help create proper sized images for your blog]
Additional Plugins I Use
- Social Snap [Enhanced Social Sharing Tools including Pinterest]
- Thirsty Affiliates [Auto Link affiliate links]
- Link Whisper [Internal Linking Tool]
- Yoast SEO [SEO Best Practices and Redirects]
- TOC + [Table of Contents Creator]
Genesis Enews Extended
Along with 10 sample blog posts and a few categories, there are 6 pages included in the one click install. You’ll need to edit these or remove them as desired.
- Recipe Index
- Landing Page
- Gutenberg Optimized Page
To edit this, go to appearance -> Customize -> Header and Footer. You can enter simple text for your copyright or add html. Here’s a Video that will show you how to create the WordPress footer with links using html from a post.
This area is for your website title and logo.
You have the choice of using styled text for your website title with a tagline or you can upload a logo image. The suggested size of a logo is 600 x 160 pixels.
You’ll have the ability to crap your image after loading, yet you could lose important areas of the logo if it isn’t sized correctly.
To create a logo, I like to use Canva. Click Create a Design -> Custom Dimensions -> 600 x 160. Drop in an image placeholder or begin designing from scratch.
I also really like the brand kits from Ladyboss Studios that include site logos where you can simply change the text and retain the image.
Genesis eNews Extended
- Marketing ToolsIn this guide, you’ll find almost any marketing tool you will need for growing your blog, website, or online store. You’ll find automation tools, posting tools, promotional tools, money-making tools, SEO tools and so much more.
- WordPress Tutorials
- Refined WordPress Theme Set Up – Beauty, Fashion, Lifestyle Blog
- The Best Webinar Platforms
- SEO Content Writing Tutorial For Beginners