Lori Ballen is a member of the Amazon Associates Program and earns money from qualifying purchases. Posts contain affiliate links that benefit Lori as well.
If your food blog is looking a bit tired or outdated, you may be in the market for a new design. Recipe Blogger Theme for WordPress might be a solution for you. This guide will teach you how to set up the Food Blogger WordPress Theme. If you want it all built for you, consider our Food Blogger System or Foodie Website system.
Table of contents
If you are building your website from the ground up and need to get your WordPress set up first, I suggest WP Engine for your WordPress platform and host.
You can learn how to do that on this How To Blog article.
Paul and Jeff at Ballen Brands can also build this for you.
Get the best WordPress hosting for your site.
WP Engine is a WordPress platform backed by a team of experts who are available 24/7 to make things easy for you.
In most cases, when you buy the child theme, you get the Genesis framework as well.
Make sure your WordPress Genesis is updated to 3.0 or newer.
steps to Install The Recipe Blogger Theme
- Purchase the Recipe Blogger Theme
- Access both the Genesis and theme .zip files from the confirmation page or email
- Do not unzip the files
- Upload the genesis framework [Appearance, Themes, Add New, Upload Theme, Activate
- Next, follow the same steps with the Recipe Blogger file.
One Click Install
The One-Click Install is popular with website builders using child themes of Genesis. It’s exactly how it sounds, one click and it’s all installed.
This works best on a brand new website. Keep in mind that you’ll have to edit content, menus, widgets, etc. to fit your food blog once you install it all using the one-click install.
After you install the theme, you should see the button that allows you to choose a one-click install. You might alternatively see “Starter Pack”.
This install or starter pack will install all demo content, Plugins, widgets, pages, posts, categories, and menu items.
All of this can be customized after the installation.
WordPress Plugins add functionality to a website. Many themes use WordPress Plugins that they didn’t create.
This is fine as long as they are tested with the theme and are kept updated. Some are “fremium” meaning free to a certain level and they you would need to pay to upgradee.
Here are the themes suggested by the makers of Recipe Blogger. They are not required to use your them, but they will be used in the demo.
One Click Install with add them, and you can activate them or remove theme.
- Atomic Blocks [Adds more blocks to Gutenberg blocks]
- Simple Social Icons [Allows you to add your social icons and channels to the menu]
- Genesis eNews Extended [Used to gain email subscribers]
- WPForms Lite [Drag and drop contact collection forms]
- WP Recipe Maker [For your recipes]
- Smash Balloon Social Photo Feed [For Instagram]
- Regenerate Thumbnails [This will help create proper sized images for your blog]
Additional Plugins I Use
- Social Snap [Enhanced Social Sharing Tools including Pinterest]
- Thirsty Affiliates [Auto Link affiliate links]
- [Internal Linking Tool]
- SEOPress [SEO Best Practices and Redirects]
- TOC + [Table of Contents Creator]
Genesis Enews Extended
Along with 10 sample blog posts and a few categories, there are 6 pages included in the one click install. You’ll need to edit these or remove them as desired.
- Recipe Index
- landing page
- Gutenberg Optimized Page
To edit this, go to appearance -> Customize -> Header and Footer. You can enter simple text for your copyright or add html. Here’s a Video that will show you how to create the WordPress footer with links using html from a post.
This area is for your website title and logo.
You’ll have the ability to crap your image after loading, yet you could lose important areas of the logo if it isn’t sized correctly.
I also really like the brand kits from Ladyboss Studios that include site logos where you can simply change the text and retain the image.
Genesis eNews Extended
- The Best of Ballen BloggerEnjoy the best of lists on Ballen Blogger. Best software, best affiliate programs, best software and more
- Mrs. Meyer’s Affiliate ProgramMrs. Meyer’s Affiliate Program is offered at the ShareASale Network. It’s under the ePantry company that houses many all-natural home cleaning products. You can earn $5 per sale, $25 off your 1st ePantry order, as well as a free Mrs. Meyer’s hand soap!
- 5 Ways to Make Money Blogging.If you are blogging on a regular basis, you might want to know how to make money with your blog. Many bloggers have figured out ways to monetize their blog as a supplemental income or as a full-time income. This article will give you ideas on how to make money with your blog.
- Passive Voice & SEO: Why You Should Pass on This Indirect Writing Style
- Get Paid to Blog (9 Websites that Pay Writers)Blogging is a great way to supplement your income and, in some cases, make a full-time living. However, with so many websites on the market, it can seem a daunting proposition.